The Voluntary Health Insurance Scheme (VHIS) is a policy initiative implemented by the Food and Health Bureau (FHB) to regulate indemnity hospital insurance plans.
Insurance companies participating in the VHIS (“VHIS Providers”) offer individual indemnity hospital insurance plans that are certified by FHB to comply with the minimum requirements of the scheme in product design (“Certified Plans”).
Moreover, VHIS Providers must comply with a set of Code of Practices covering sales and marketing, handling of applications, after-sales services, etc.
It is a free choice of consumers whether to buy Certified Plans or not.
To assist informed choice, comprehensive product and premium information of Certified Plans can be obtained on this website and the website of the insurance companies concerned.
Key Features of Certified Plans
- Guaranteed renewal up to the age of 100 years - irrespective of change in your health condition after policy inception
- No “lifetime benefit limit” - your benefits will be continued until you reach 100 years of age*
- Cooling-off period of 21 days - during which you can cancel your policy with full refund of premium
- Premium transparency - with premium schedule easily accessible on this website and websites of insurance companies
Coverage can be extended to include:
- Unknown pre-existing conditions - will be partially covered in:
- 2nd year (25%) and
- 3rd year (50%) after policy inception and
- fully covered (100%) afterwards
- Treatment of congenital conditions - which have manifested or been diagnosed since the age of 8 will be covered
- Day case procedures - such as endoscopy conducted in day centres will be covered
- Prescribed diagnostic imaging tests - such as Computed Tomography (CT scan), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI scan) and Positron Emission Tomography (PET scan) conducted during hospital stay or in an outpatient setting will be covered, subject to 30% coinsurance
- Prescribed non-surgical cancer treatments - such as radiotherapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapy will be covered
- Psychiatric inpatient treatments in local hospitals - will be covered up to the limit of HK$30,000 per policy year
documents to follow